Psalm 1:1-3 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.
2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.
Verse 3 expresses 4 blessings:
1. Constant refreshing “He shall be like a tree planted by the water.
2. Bear fruit in season (“The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” Galatians 5:22) We will show these characteristics in the proper time as needed when we come across people and situations that need these ‘fruits’.
3. Eternal life – Starting now our “leaf does not wither”.
4. Prosperity – This is not financial blessings, although that may be included. These blessings include love, joy, peace, sharing life with those who were once dead in their sins. Being an instrument of peace, etc. Whatever we do, when we have been meditating on the word and follow God in obedience, we will come out successful. More people will be added to the Kingdom of God.
Conditions to receive these Blessings:
1. Delight in the law of the Lord – (vs 2)
2. Meditate on the Law day and night (vs 2)
In order to receive blessings from God, we need to delight in his Law. We need to meditate day and night on the Law of the Lord so we will have the knowledge and wisdom to do what is says. Only then can we receive the blessings as a result of our obedience to his Word.